Sea Ray 240 Sundancer Review
The Sea Ray 240 Sundancer offers all the comforts that have made this series of bowriders so popular. The boat is easy to drive, maintain, and afford. There is space for six adults spread between the rear lounge, helmseats and bow and a family of four can sleep in its two berths. Parents take the forward V-bunk with five screened ventilation hatches while a smaller mid-berth is fully padded and large enough for two children or guests. Sea Ray build and materials are excellent, with durable stainless steel fittings and well-finished fibreglass. A secondhand Sea Ray 240 Sundancer makes a good choice for water sports or family cruising.
Who and what was this boat designed for?
Sea Ray sees the 240 Sundancers as family weekenders, as well as sports utility cruisers. They are big enough for four people staying overnight in comfort. The Sundancer is also small enough for watersports, offering good planing for sports like waterskiing. It’s light and compact enough for easy transport on a trailer.
What commentators say about this boat
What was hard for us to figure was the price; we don’t know of a better value for a weekend getaway boat.
A portable vacation station - a perfect example of the all-American dayboat.
You can’t go wrong with a Sea Ray – they are very well built boats and, properly maintained, will last years.
A complete weekender for less than some bowriders.
The pre-2005 layout has more capacity and a port bench. The post-2006 layout replaces the port bench with two bistro-style seats, and loses an entire bench seat in the aft.
- Length overall: 26ft (7.92m)
- Beam: 8ft 6in (2.59m)
- Weight: 2.75 tons (2495kg)
- Fuel capacity: 62 gallons (75 US gallons) (283 litres)
- Water capacity: 20 gallons (24 US gallons) (91 litres)
- Engines: Mercruiser 5.0, Mercuiser 5.7
What’s great about the Sea Ray 240 Sundancer
- Comfortable accommodation with double aft cabin and double dinette conversion
- Engine hatch can be lifted without moving the seat.
- Good cabin ventilation and lighting with main hatch and port lights.
- Spacious cockpit with plenty of room to move around
What to look out for on a pre-owned Sea Ray 240 Sundancer
If you’re buying a used Sea Ray 240 Sundancer, our engineers and owners have reported some things to watch out for and potential faults that might occur on this boat from time to time.
- 5.0 engine is more than ample with two people on board. With four or five people, it can take a while to get on plane. If you frequently go out with 4 or more people, consider the larger 5.7 engine.
Keeping your Sea Ray 240 Sundancer in shape
When buying a used Sea Ray 240 Sundancer, regular scheduled servicing and attention to some minor points will keep your craft in top condition.
Carry out regular engine and drive servicing in line with the manufacturer’s recommended intervals.
We don't currently have any specific maintenance information for the Sea Ray 240 Sundancer
If you have ever owned or worked on a Sea Ray 240 Sundancer and would like to share your thoughts, then get in touch and we'll add your information to the page.
- Follow manufacturer’s recommendations when laying up for winter.
The Sea Ray 240 Sundancer is not known for needing specific repairs more frequently than other boats.
Why buy a pre-owned Sea Ray 240 Sundancer?
A secondhand Sea Ray 240 Sundancer is a great boat if you're looking for a roomy cabin in a 24-foot bowrider. It’s an ideal family all around boat, small enough to be economical on fuel, but big enough to bring the family out for a day on the water.
Related Articles and Guides
21st Sep 2018
20th Aug 2018
3rd Oct 2017