- CONTEST YACHTS
- Contest 44
- Tax Status
- Tax Paid
- 13 m
- 4.0 m
- Engine Make
- Draft Max
- 2.1 m
- Engine Model
- Draft Min
- 2.1 m
- Engine Count
- Fin Keel
- Hull Material
- Boat Type
- RB Ref
About this CONTEST YACHTS Contest 44
Contest are world-renowned ocean sailing yachts and the 44 is perfect for a family to cruise, but is also easily managed by a couple. If you are looking for a yacht that is fully equipped with everything needed for a World cruise or an Atlantic crossing (ideal ARC yacht) without spending a fortune, then this yacht is the answer.
Here we give you an idea of her specification:
Hull, Deck and Superstructure
- GRP vacuum injected hull with laminated transverse and longitudinal reinforcements, engine-foundations and bulkheads laminated to the hull.
- The hull laminate is constructed of GRP resin, chopped strand mat, woven rovings and an extra anti-osmosis resin layer and an insulated end-grain balsa sandwich.
- The hull is finished in standard white Contest gelcoat; painted Awlgrip stripe and waterline.
- Substantial teak rubbing strake with stainless steel rub-strip.
- The deck and superstructure are constructed from GRP vacuum-injected deck with laminated foam profiles. There is solid laminate under all deck fittings.
- The deck and superstructure are finished in standard white Contest gelcoat.
- The hull to deck joint is bolted and then laminated.
- 12mm teak laid decking is fitted to side decks, coachroof, toerail capping, and bathing platform with screws and sealant. The decks were completely re-furbished and re-caulked in 2016.
- Scoop transom/bathing platform with integral steps.
- Self-draining cockpit with teak slats on the floor and teak seating. Generator installed under the cockpit floor with large access hatch.
- All seacocks were replaced in 2013.
Keel and Rudder:
- Cast iron fin keel externally bolted with stainless steel bolts
- GRP rudder blade with aluminium rudder shaft and full skeg protection.
Engine and gearbox:
- Volvo TMD-31L 100hp 4-cylinder turbo charged marine diesel engine, professionally serviced annually. Cruising speed approx. 7 knots.
- Reduction gearbox with flexible coupling to shaft.
- Freshwater cooling via raw water intake and heat exchanger.
- Oil cooler kit (2010)
- Sepa KWA-50 fuel/water separator.
- Single lever throttle control on steering pedestal
- Engine control panel in cockpit with rev counter, oil pressure, water temperature, engine hours counter and alarms.
- Spare new/unused starter motor (2013)
Propulsion and steering:
- Whitlock GRP steering pedestal with hide covered steering wheel.
- Whitlock Mamba rod-linkage steering (not chains).
- Emergency steering on rudderpost by tiller.
- Sleipner 10hp bow thruster (overhauled 2015)
- 3-blade Maxprop feathering propeller fully reconditioned and balanced 2013.
- 12v DC domestic systems with 230v AC from shore power, inverter or generator.
- 2 x 105Ah 12v engine start/bow thruster batteries joined in parallel to supply 210Ah @ 12v DC
- 4 x 115Ah service batteries joined in parallel to supply 460Ah @ 12v DC
- Rutland 12v DC wind generator (2017)
- Victron intelligent battery charger with integrated 230V AC inverter (2014) with remote controller and charge limiter at DC panel.
- Merlin Smart gauge battery management system
- Magnetronic DCC4000 battery status monitor
- 2 x engine mounted alternators
- Sterling 4-step alternator booster
- 120 amp solar panel mounted on arch over transom (2014)
- Rutland 12v DC wind generator (2017)
- Paguro 4000 – 230V 50Hz watercooled marine generator (2013)
- Towed in-water 12V DC generator.
- 230V AC shore power system with cables and adapters for Europe and USA/Caribbean
- 230V AC power sockets in cabins, galley and chart table.
- 12V DC sockets in main saloon, cockpit and chart table.
- USB charging sockets at chart table.
- Electronic ultrasound anti-fouling system with 2 transducers.
Fresh water and water heating:
- Pressurised fresh water system via 12V DC pressure pump (2016)
- Isotemp stainless steel 40 litre hot water calorifier. Water heated via 230V AC immersion heater or Eberspacher Hydronic water heating system.
- Spectra 380 12V DC watermaker producing approx. 16 gph.
- Clark high pressure pump for above replaced 2013
- Emergency hand operated RO watermaker
- Whale Gusher Titan manual bilge pump operated from cockpit
- 2 x Rule 12V DC electric bilge pumps
- Showers discharge via 121V DC pumps
- Grey water discharge overboard via seacocks
- Blackwater discharges overboard or to holding tank.
- Pressurised hot and cold shower at transom
- Pressurised salt water deck/anchor washdown at bow
- All bronze seacocks replaced 2013
- 340 litres (75 gallons) in 1 stainless steel tank.
- Tank level meter at DC panel by chart table.
- 620 litres (136 gallons) in 2 x plastic tanks
- Tank level meter at DC panel
Blackwater holding tank:
- Plastic blackwater holding tank servicing aft heads
- Raymarine Evolution Autopilot with p70s control head (2017)
- Raymarine autopilot remote control (can be operated at chart table)
- Raymarine, Wind, Speed, Depth (2015)
- Nav and VMG displays
- Steering compass on binnacle (2018)
- Raymarine C90W chart plotter on binnacle mounting (2013)
- Additional handheld GPS with mounting (2017)
- Hydrovane wind vane self-steering system mounted on transom centre line with control ropes leading back to cockpit (2013)
At chart table:
- Raymarine Axiom Multi Function Display (MFD) (2018)
- Raymarine GPS receiver and AIS receiver/transmitter (2013)
- Raymarine digital radar (2013)
- All above displayed on Axiom MFD.
- Raytheon multi function instrument display
- Clock and Barometer
- Electronic hand-bearing compass
- Iridium Pilot satellite telephone system with 2 x telephone handsets (2013)
- SailMail ‘RedBox’ WiFi router
- Icom IC-M710 HF/MF SSB transceiver with insulated backstay antenna and copper earth plate.
- P4 Dragon DR-7400 Pactor Modem with Bluetooth and leads to connect to IC-M710.
- Raymarine VHF with DSC (2015)
- Icom handheld VHF with docking station/charger.
- Twin s/s sinks with thermostatic hot & cold water supply
- Third s/s basin with pressurised cold water supply
- Separate faucet for pressurised cold carbon filtered water
- GN Espace Levante 3 burner marine gas cooker with oven and grill (2013)
- 230V AC microwave oven (2013)
- Front opening 100 litre Frigonautica 12V DC refrigerator (new compressor 2010)
- Top opening 12V DC deep freeze (can also be used as a fridge) with remote temperature guage.
Heating & Ventilation:
- Eberspacher Hydronic 5 12V DC water-based hot-air system with outlets throughout interior (2010).
- 12V DC fans throughout interior
- Opening deckhead hatches throughout plus opening side ports all with blinds and mosquito screens.
- 32” TV in aft cabin
- Deckhead mounted LED lights throughout
- Reading lights in cabins and main saloon
- Chart lamp over chart table
- Red night light over navigation area
Summary of accommodation:
- Twin forecabin with infill for double.
- Owners en-suite aft cabin with island double bed with sprung slatted base
- 2 settee berths in main saloon
- All 6 berths fitted with lee-cloths or lee-boards.
- Teak joinery throughout
- White Corian worktops in galley and heads
- Teak and Holly floorboards
- Off-white vinyl headlinings
- Full standing headroom in all cabins.
Description of layout:
- Large V-berth with seat which can be used as an infill to create a comfortable double berth.
- There are Lee-boards underneath the mattresses for use at sea if required.
- Large stowage areas beneath the bunks.
- Hanging locker, cupboard and shelves.
- Access to aft heads.
- Door to main saloon
- Jabsco manual marine heads
- Wash basin with pressurised hot and cold water
- Pull-out shower head.
- Teak grating.
- Electric pump-out for shower.
- Cupboards, shelving and mirror.
- U-shaped settee to starboard with stowage underneath, above and outboard.
- Folding teak table on centre line.
- Settee to port with s/s fuel tank beneath.
- Stowage outboard and above.
- Smoke alarm.
- Large forward-facing chart table with chart stowage beneath.
- Plenty of space for navigation instruments.
- AC/DC panel
- Lockers and shelves for pilot books and manuals
- Wet hanging locker aft of seat.
- Linear galley in walk-through to aft cabin.
- L-shaped counter at forward end
- Three stainless steel sinks with Corian covers
- Gimballed gas stove.
- Top opening fridge/freezer
- Front opening 100 litre refrigerator
- 230V microwave
- Significant stowage in lockers, cupboards, drawers and shelves.
- Dedicated mug storage unit.
- Dedicated crockery storage.
- Circular cocktail cabinet for glasses with LED lighting.
- Engine access inboard.
- Large centreline double island bed with split mattress and sprung slatted base.
- Storage beneath bed.
- Hanging locker to starboard.
- Large cupboards with shelving both port and starboard.
- Extensive other storage in lockers, cupboards, and shelves.
- 32” TV.
- Carbon monoxide alarm.
- Jabsco manual marine heads
- Holding tank
- Wash basin with pressurised hot and cold water.
- Separate shower cubicle with electric pump-out.
- Thermostatic hot and cold water supply in the heads.
- Teak gratings.
- Selden silver-anodised aluminium alloy spars
- Deck-stepped masthead rigged spar with 2 sets of spreaders
- Folding mast steps to top of mast
- Selden rod-kicker with gas ram adjustment (2016)
- Furlex 400S genoa furler (2004)
- Detachable cutter inner forestay for staysail
- Stainless steel standing rigging (2010)
- Manually adjustable backstay
- Fully battened mainsail system with Selden ball bearing batten car system on track
- Lewmar mainsheet system with adjustable track aft of cockpit
- Lewmar Ocean Grey series deck gear with towable genoa cars
- 2 x Selden aluminium alloy spinnaker poles
- Selden aluminium alloy gennaker retractable bowsprit. (2013)
- 2 x Lemar 58SEST 2-speed self-tailing electric primary winches in cockpit
- 2 x Lewmar 48ST 2-speed self-tailing spinnaker winches in cockpit
- 2 x Lewmar 48ST 2-speed self tailing halyard winches at companionway
- 1 x Lewmar 48ST 2-speed self-tailing halyard winch on mast
- North sails fully-battened mainsail with three reefs (2007)
- Crusader high clew furling genoa (2016)
- Hanked-on staysail/storm jib
- Kemp Code-zero on Karver KF2TD Large top-down furler (2013)
- Kemp full-radial all-purpose cruising chute to suit above Karver furler (2013)
- I = 17.60m, J = 5.50m, P = 15.62m, E = 4.20m
- Stainless steel pushpit and pulpit
- Midship gates
- Gate to bathing/boarding platform
- Stainless steel boarding ladder with teak steps
- Bow, stern and midship cleats.
Anchoring and mooring equipment:
- Lofrans 1800W 12V DC windlass with remote control (2015)
- 25Kg Delta anchor with 100m calibrated galvanised 10mm chain
- 25Kg Kedge anchor with 5m chain and 100m 16mm octoplat warp
- Fenders and warpsCanvas and CushionsL
- Sprayhood on stainless steel frame (2018)
- Bimini (2015)
- Bimini side curtains and forwards spray hood extension (2015)
- Tailored cockpit seat cushions (2013)
- Ribeye TS280 inflatable RIB (stows on foredeck). (2013)
- 9.8hp Tohatsu 2-stroke outboard (2015).
- Above combination will plane easily with two crew.
- Teak outboard bracket on pushpit
- Stainless steel outboard davit/crane at pushpit
- McMurdo 406Mhz EPIRB (2017)
- 4-man Seago canister liferaft stowed on deck (serviced 2019)
- 2 x horseshoe buoys with lights
- Offshore danbuoy with light
- Throwing ring with floating line
- Horseshow lifebuoy man overboard system mounted on pushpit
- Flares in cannister
- 9” Echomax enclosed radar reflector on mast mount
Firefighting equipment (all new 2013):
- Fire extinguishers throughout
- Fire blanket in galley